Software Engineer, Go
- Would you like to learn about the insides of the banking industry and try to change it from the inside out?
- Are wanting to push the boundaries of engineering by building a clean, scalable and secure platform that millions of people use?
- Do you want to create innovative solutions that empower people to achieve their life goals?
Tell me more 🌱
We’re rapidly expanding our usage of Go across engineering; using it to build internal and external HTTP APIs, monitoring daemons, data parsers and so much more. If building a secure database storage engine or high performance APIs in Go sound like the kind of role you’d enjoy then we’d love for you to get in touch.
- Here at Bud, we use a range of languages in our various backend and data engineering projects including Go, PHP, Java and Python
- We use a range of different data stores across our teams including MySQL, PostgreSQL, Redis, Elasticsearch, HDFS
- We use RabbitMQ for queuing
- If you’re interested in picking up one of our languages or new technology or skill we provide lots of opportunities to learn with a mentoring programme, R&D days and regular training available. We like to help people grow and learn!
You should have 👀
- Proven experience with Go; and great foundation with another programming language (e.g. Java, C, C++, Ruby, PHP or Python)
- You are a well-rounded, inquisitive engineer who enjoys solving complex problems using clean, efficient and creative methods and putting those solutions into action working in a team
- Comfortable working with SQL and databases
- Experience with automated testing of systems and applications
Engineering at Bud 💻The software engineering team are tasked with solving highly technical problems to enable solutions that tangibly benefit the lives of millions of people. From how to scale our solutions to tens of millions of users in the most effective manner to integrating hundreds of third-party businesses. Data is key to our business and we need passionate developers to help capture it, store it, transform it, research and most importantly secure it.
Put simply, we want to improve the daily lives of millions of people - ourselves included. By making finances easier to manage, everybody can be good with money.
How we’re getting on
Bud is an early stage business, but we’re growing fast. 2018 saw the team expand from 17 to 70 (yes, really) - and the pace is only picking up. Alongside this, we’ve won some notable awards, and work closely with HSBC to ensure our tech gets out there.
Who we are
We’re a diverse group of people. With backgrounds ranging from data science to music production, more than 80% of our team come from outside the world of finance – providing us with a unique perspective as we help consumers feel more in control of their lives. For us, an interest in people comes first; finance follows.
What we’re doing
The apps and infrastructure we’re building are designed to place the power of personal data back into the hands of normal people.
Picture this: a world where your bank knew you were paying too much for your gas bill and could switch you to a more suitable provider, or understood your savings targets and could automatically find you a better deal. That’s what we’re working towards.
What excites us
We love independent people who lead by example. We also love our R&D days: two days dedicated to your own experimental projects and learning, happening every 6 weeks.
Open banking? This is our bread ’n’ butter, a massive game changer not just for the industry but for people like you! It essentially allows companies like us to come up with new and exciting ways to help you make the most of your banking data.
Rental Recognition? This an awesome new service we’re working to make your rental payments contribute to your credit history, just one of the many different ways that we’re helping people to jump onto the housing ladder.
Sound like your kind of role?
Bud gives 25 days holidays, all bank holidays and we think the festive period in December should be spent relaxing so we give the whole team time off between Christmas & New Year's Eve!
As part of our company pension plan, we offer contributions to match up to 5% of your salary.
You’ll be provided with a brand new MacBook or PC, and any computer accessories you need so you’ll have the best tools for the job!
Hours & flexibility
Our core hours are 9:30 am to 6 pm. However, as part of our high-performance team, you'll benefit from the flexibility to manage your own day optimising the way you work so you can be at your best.
We’re big on keeping Bud a social team, so Christmas and Summer parties can be a big deal. We also put on quarterly events and have a social committee organising things like sports events, music gigs and after-work meet-ups!
Bud’s new office is a newly renovated space, specifically designed to our needs. Cool interior, breakout spaces, professional meeting rooms, brand new kitchen, loads of bike storage and a shower room for our part-time athletes. As our office is in The Bower WeWork there are also tons of events, not to mention, beverages on tap.