Software Engineer, Go
Bud's mission is to make the money part of people's lives simpler. The products we’re building are designed to place the power of personal data back into the hands of normal people, making finances easier to manage for everyone.
We’re rapidly expanding our usage of Go across engineering; using it to build internal and external HTTP APIs, monitoring daemons, data parsers and so much more. If building a secure database storage engine or high performance APIs in Go sound like the kind of challenges you’d enjoy then we’d love for you to get in touch.
What impact will you make
- You'll be using a range of languages in our various backend and data engineering projects including Go, PHP, Java and Python
- Using a range of different data stores across our teams including MySQL, PostgreSQL, Redis, Elasticsearch, HDFS
- You'll be working with RabbitMQ and Kafka for queues
- If you’re interested in picking up one of our languages or new technology or skill we provide lots of opportunities to learn with a mentoring programme, R&D days and regular training available. We like to help people grow and learn!
A bit about you
- Proven experience with Go; and great foundation with another programming language (e.g. Java, C, C++, Ruby, PHP or Python)
- You are a well-rounded, inquisitive engineer who enjoys solving complex problems using clean, efficient and creative methods and putting those solutions into action working in a team
- Comfortable working with SQL and databases
- Experience with automated testing of systems and applications
Taking it to the next level
- Experience interacting with or building APIs
- You think always think about solutions from a security perspective or enjoy working with cryptography libraries
- Previous experience in banking or fintech companies
- A good understanding of application, information and infrastructure architectures, such as API / SDK development and integrations
- Awesome analytical and communication skills, with the ability to communicate complex ideas to non-experts with eloquence and confidence
- Experience with Docker and/or Kubernetes
- Experience working in a cloud environment such as Google Cloud Platform or AWS
Engineering at Bud
The software engineering team are tasked with solving highly technical problems to enable solutions that tangibly benefit the lives of millions of people. From how to scale our solutions to tens of millions of users in the most effective manner to integrating hundreds of third-party businesses. Data is key to our business and we need passionate developers to help capture it, store it, transform it, research and most importantly secure it.
What is it like to work for Bud?
We could play buzzword bingo but one of our core values is 'Authentic' and the best way to demonstrate this is by sharing our employee engagement dashboard. This provides a weekly engagement and NPS score giving you a true reflection of life at Bud. All data collected is anonymised so we have no control over what you see.
The dashboard is interactive so check it out here and have a look at what the numbers mean, https://bit.ly/2MhjAZT
What are the perks?
🏖 25 days holiday!
👵 We match up to 5% of your salary in our pension plan.
🎒 You’ll be provided with a brand new MacBook or PC, and any computer accessories you need so you’ll have the best tools for the job!
🌱 The biggest motivation for people is learning and developing, our people have up to £500 per annum of learning and development opportunities funded by Bud.
🤹♂️ We’re big on keeping Bud a social team, so Christmas and Summer parties can be a big deal. We also put on events and have a social committee organising things from 5-a-side football, gaming comps and after-work meet-ups!
🤝 Being part of the WeWork community also provides some added perks from free "artisan" coffee, weekly lunch and learns and even terrarium workshops.
A bit more about us
2018 was big for us 17 to 70 (yes, really) - But 2019 is going to be even bigger. We recently announced our Series A funding, $20 million! We’re a diverse group of people. With backgrounds ranging from data science to music production, more than 80% of our team come from outside the world of finance – providing us with a unique perspective as we help consumers feel more in control of their lives. For us, an interest in people comes first; finance follows.
And more about what we're doing
The apps and infrastructure we’re building are designed to place the power of personal data back into the hands of normal people. Picture this: a world where your bank knew you were paying too much for your gas bill and could switch you to a more suitable provider, or understood your savings targets and could automatically find you a better deal. That’s what we’re working towards.
Bud is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.