Head of Engineering
Put simply, we want to improve the daily lives of millions of people – ourselves included. By making finances easier to manage, everybody can be good with money.
How we’re getting on
Bud is an early stage business, but we’re growing fast. 2018 saw the team expand from 17 to 70 (yes, really) - and the pace is only picking up. Alongside this, we’ve won some notable awards, and work closely with HSBC to ensure our tech gets out there.
Who we are
We’re a diverse group of people. With backgrounds ranging from data science to music production, more than 80% of our team come from outside the world of finance – providing us with a unique perspective as we help consumers feel more in control of their lives. For us, an interest in people comes first; finance follows.
What we’re doing
The apps and infrastructure we’re building are designed to place the power of personal data back into the hands of normal people.
Picture this: a world where your bank knew you were paying too much for your gas bill and could switch you to a more suitable provider, or understood your savings targets and could automatically find you a better deal. That’s what we’re working towards.
Tell me about the role!
As we grow our team, we want to bring expertise in to help us become a best in class technology provider, from a tech solution to process perspective. For that we need someone continually looking at the makeup of our team, reviewing the technologies used and where there is potential to adopt new ones as well as the overall platform architecture and what strategies we should implement to take our product to the next stage.
What you will be doing
- Ensure the tech team performs and delivers as effectively as possible;
- Continue to build out a high performing team
- Input and shape into the technical strategy/architecture, identify areas of change and improvement;
- Review and iterate on the organisational structure of our technical team as we grow into a large technology provider;
- Mentor and guide tech leads and heads of chapters;
- Identify and continually oversee the resourcing needs of the technical team;
- Review technology used and areas to implement new ones;
- Drawing up strategies to roll out new technologies;
- Work with the People team to continuously maintain and evolve the company culture as the business scales.
You might have
- Experience of leading large multi-purpose tech teams.;
- The ability to deliver end to end tech solutions (ideally to third parties / clients);
- Comfortable with ambiguity and fast paced environments;
- Experience in overseeing the development of large complex platforms
- An entrepreneurial approach to problem solving.
- Understand the importance of security and putting the user first when implementing any new product or service.
- The ability to quickly apply existing skills and experience to new technologies;
Sound like your kind of challenge?
Bud gives 25 days holidays, all bank holidays and we think the festive period in December should be spent relaxing so we give the whole team time off between Christmas & New Year's Eve!
As part of our company pension plan, we offer contributions to match up to 5% of your salary.
You’ll be provided with a brand new MacBook or PC, and any computer accessories you need so you’ll have the best tools for the job!
Hours & flexibility
Our core hours are 9:30 am to 6 pm. However, as part of our high-performance team, you'll benefit from the flexibility to manage your own day optimising the way you work so you can be at your best.
We’re big on keeping Bud a social team, so Christmas and Summer parties can be a big deal. We also put on quarterly events and have a social committee organising things like sports events, music gigs and after-work meet-ups!
Bud’s new office is a newly renovated space, specifically designed to our needs. Cool interior, breakout spaces, professional meeting rooms, brand new kitchen, loads of bike storage and a shower room for our part-time athletes. As our office is in The Bower WeWork there are also tons of events, not to mention, beverages on tap.